London born and raised Bakar, fuses rock, punk, indie and rap all into one genre, making him one of the freshest on the UK scene right now.
Bakar and his music is all about being unrestricted by traditional boundaries or preconceptions of what the industry thinks he should be, making him pretty fearless like us!
1. When did you know that you were going to pursue music as a career?
Maybe like 2 years ago, only after I made big dreams, so even after I made big dreams I was still like undecided, but then I was like yes. So, I would say a couple of years ago.
2. Who is your inspiration musically?
I have so many, urgh I always struggle to answer this question because I always leave people out. But like anyone from Lily Allen, Foals, the Gorillas were a big influence on me, The Streets and Mike Skinner stuff like that.
3. Who else should we be listening too right now?
You should listen to my friends, I have a friend called Jackson De Silva he’s really really good. You know what actually just today I was listening to an album by a band called Jungle.
4. What would you say your ‘big dream’ is?
My big dream is to have the number one album in the country.
5. Tell us your favorite hangout spot in London?
It’s hard now, because London has just been stripped of so many of the places I used to hang out in, now I feel like I stay indoors most of the time. But, we go to this place called Mo Mo’s just off regent street.
6. Being a born and bred London boy, do you ever see yourself moving out of the city?
Yes, I do but I think I’d always come back… there’s only a few places that I think I could move to like New York, Rome now that I’m here. I like the idea of going somewhere for a specific period of time, so I would like to go somewhere like Rome and spend 3 or 4 months here writing then go back to London.
7. What is your go to shower sing along?
On and On by Erykah Badu.
8. What is your fondest music memory?
My fondest music memory is my mum in her little Mercedes playing Aliyah records.
9. Would you say your style of music reflects your fashion style?
No, I actually feel like they contradict each other which is why sometimes I think people like get confused about. Some people think I’m like a rapper and stuff, so I think it actually contradicts itself, but I like that.
10. Would you say you have ever been star struck?
Yeh, you know what I don’t normally get star struck by musicians but by sports men and women I get star struck like football players... especially if they play for Arsenal.
11. What is your number one go to when it comes to Italian food?
Chicken parmigiana, and meatballs. You know what I have always been in search of the perfect margarita pizza, so like everywhere I go I just try and find the best margarita pizza.
12. F is For… Freedom… so do you feel like music gives you the freedom you want?
Yes, definitely like I think that is the main reasons when you asked me at the start about when did I start take things seriously, was actually when I realized music was freeing me and then the aim was to make sure it was freeing other people, to let other young people know you can do whatever you like, so yes it defiantly makes me feel free.
13. F is For…?
F is for… Fendi ya dig.